Sunday, March 4, 2012

Updated Artist's Statement

A childhood spent beneath vaulted arches has led me to associate flowing drapery, beams of light, and certain gestures with holiness.  Yet I have found holiness elsewhere: nature, ancient myth, and especially the human body.  All these speak to a more tangible sanctity that exists in our world and to mankind’s intimate relationship with it.  Through carefully-crafted paintings and drawings I express my reverence for all things sacred.  My images are eclectic, rather than confined by any specific dogma.  Catholic and Pagan symbolism blend seamlessly amid figures engrossed in ritual or meditation.  I hope that my work can inspire an appreciation for things immaterial, like the sensation of ritual, which lie just beyond the reaches of our understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment